The role of a school prefect
Our prefects are ambassadors for our school and we expect each of them to embrace the general duties outlined below;
In performing duties as School Prefect, each prefect will be expected to:
- Support the Catholic ethos of the school and promote Gospel values
- Respect the rules and regulations of the school and observe the school rules at all times
- Be dressed appropriately at all times. Prefects shall wear their badge that distinguishes their office at all times
- Be punctual for duties and attend all Prefect meetings where possible
- Maintain an excellent academic and behaviour record and lead by example, ensuring the pursuit of academic excellence and orderly behaviour
- Be positive and enthusiastic, encouraging and motivating fellow students
- Be cooperative, helpful, well-mannered, trustworthy, and responsible
- Be respectful toward teachers, your peers, and the school environment
- Display leadership qualities: confidence, initiative, problem-solving skills
- Be willing to take on extra responsibilities
- Be able to work independently and complete tasks
- Prefects shall work together as a single body to promote cohesiveness and discipline in all their domains
- Prefects will attend all school events and activities when required where possible, and will be expected to help and lead
- Prefects must be excellent ambassadors for the school, representing the school image positively
- Prefects will carry out tasks and jobs as may be directed by staff
- Prefects will be required to sign a contract and can be removed from post if they fail to fulfill their responsibilities.
For our prefects with specific responsibilities;
- To participate in collective worship e. Mass and assembly
- To support with organisation of events relating to the liturgical calendar g. Ash Wednesday, Lent, St. John Fisher Day
- To create a termly ‘Liturgical Update’ for the School Newsletter
- To liaise with Events Prefects to organise and lead one charity initiative per long-term (Autumn, Spring, Summer)
Uniform Head Students:
- To act as ambassadors for the school at whole school events
- To take a lead in School Council and represent prefects at School Council Meetings
- Supporting Head Students in leading other prefects
- Supporting Head Students in ensuring that other prefects are fulfilling their responsibilities
- Co-chair Prefect meetings with Head Students
- To meet with SMO once per short term to review progress
- To support JDO with marketing whole school events
- To support Liturgical/Charity and Environment prefects with termly initiatives
- To attend all whole school events and act as tour guides/provide refreshments
- To collect information regarding extra-curricular activities, lunch activities and support staff with developing and launching these activities.
- To organize interform competitions (non-sporting)
- Represent sport in school.
- Organise interform sporting competitions and assist with the running of sports day.
- Promote sporting activities and support PE department with the organization running of sporting fixtures.
- Liaising with Head of PE and PE department with staff assigning duties as necessary.
- To create a termly ‘Sports Update’ for the school newsletter.
- To liaise with relevant staff regarding new build
- To consult with lead staff on learning environment and report concerns/problems
- To run at least two environmental awareness campaigns across the school year (e.g. World Water Day)
- To practically support with maintaining school environment g. raising awareness of recycling, gardening outdoor spaces.