“The Catholic School is not just an environment providing a series of lessons. It aims to meet the needs of the young people today in the light of the Church’s faith in Jesus Christ. This means that a school’s Catholic character is witnessed to in all facets of its life. For the school to be truly Catholic this vision must be shared by all concerned with its work.”
“We stand on holy ground. Every child, every young person, every adult is a unique image of God.”
“We are invited by God to nurture the life of the spirit in one another as children of God, so that we become ‘more like Christ’, fully human and fully alive.”
“This is the vision which inspires our schools and colleges in all that they do.”
– The Archdiocese of Southwark: Our Vision for Catholic Education
St. John Fisher School seeks to help and encourage students to develop individually, collectively and freely a way of life modelled on Christ, in accordance with the faith of the Roman Catholic Church.
We want our school to have:
- A vision shaped by the personal faith and commitment of its leaders;
- A staff that understands and is committed to the school’s mission;
- Aims and objectives to ensure that this vision is achieved in the day-to-day life of the school;
- An ethos in which every individual makes a unique and valued contribution, open to the world, but seeking to change it for the better;
- Attitudes that celebrate success, but treat failure with compassion;
- Policies that reflect our commitment to Christian values;
- A curriculum rooted firmly in those Christian values, with religious education at its heart;
- A sense of worship, where sacramental and liturgical celebration are integral to the learning experiences within the school; and
- Recognition of the presence of God within the school, and within the uniqueness of each individual and within each person’s talents and gifts.
In line with our Catholic values we want the very best for our students and staff. We will strive to help students develop:
- High levels of self-esteem, where each individual’s gifts can flourish and be celebrated;
- High aspirations, where students constantly aim to achieve their best;
- Stronger and more impressive skills, deeper understanding and broader knowledge, year by year;
- An excellent blend of qualifications, as a stepping stone to further study and lifelong learning;
- A recognition that they live within a wider society, and that they should be proactive and positive in family, social and community life;
- An understanding of the importance of personal health and leisure, and a deep respect for the environment;
- A love of sport and the concept of fair play.
Our students will develop as mature learners, seeking knowledge and understanding, knowing how to work in teams and form harmonious partnerships.